View Single Post
Old 21-11-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
Welcome back to racing, here is a list, apart from the first two they are not in any order:

1/ Find a local club

2/ Visit and find out what cars run there I recommend starting with 2WD

3/ Buy a car one that others run to help with setup and spares, new or second hand.

4/ Lipo Batteries - around 4500mah min 50c recommend 70c+ make does not matter very much. You will probably either need a shorty battery or saddles depending on the car. I recommend shorties as they are more flexible and some cars only fit shorties. You can race a battery and then charge it up between races so you could manage with one but I recommend getting two.

5/ Charger, most are the "four button" type and can be very cheap £30 or so. Initially any will do. You will need a Lipo sack - a bag to charge batteries in at most race meetings.

6/ Speedo and Motor, again make does not matter but ESC should be around 120A and motor depends on the class, track and your ability. Most fast drivers will run a 7.5 or 6.5 in a 2WD now but all you need is 8.5 while getting up to speed, if want to start more gently a 13.5 brushless would be close to your old 27 turn but more torque.

7/ Transmitter and Receiver these are critical IMO as they are your interface with the car and there are three serious popular makes, Futaba, Sanwa and Spectrum. KO Propo is also out there but not as popular and quite expensive. Big choice here is sticks or wheel. You will probably be a sticks person if you are old school but there is a much bigger choice in wheel radios not to mention cheaper ones. All are now 2.4Ghz so no crystals.

8/ Servo, you need a reasonably fast metal geared servo but don't need high torque I would tend to a recognised make here, Corally, Savox, Spectrum or similar. Very cheap servos are slow and can strip their gears and make driving horrible.

In terms of cost, the cheapest way is to watch the for sale section on here and jump on one of the many selling up threads that pop up. You might get the whole setup for a significant saving.

If you buy new you can get cheap electrics from the likes of Hobby King but far better is to support one of the UK RC racing shops all of which have excellent websites, personal support and will give you great advice.
what a a sensible reply all newbie/returnees to RC should read this and digest before running off to spend heard earned pennies

i especially approve of th second to last quote buying secondhand from local racers .If their local and know you are going to race their old gear they will be less likely to off load poor gear knowing you will hassle them every time it fails !! also if it good gear you become an apprentice and you have a experienced guru to give you advice

regards dave