View Single Post
Old 29-03-2013

I managed to make some progress a little earlier than I expected.

I had a one-way in the front of my SE so I always had to have one in this build. However my efforts were constantly thwarted, every time one turned up on eBay the seller wouldn't post to Australia :-(

I can't quite remember how but I managed to discover the following piece

Which you can then install into a standard belt driven gear-diff case along with all the other necessary goodies

To give you exactly the same thing as the W-0106

I kept the original ball diff in the back of my SE so that was what would be going into the rear gearbox of this build

I had bought a secondhand parts lot which included a rear ball diff, the older version, which was perfect for this build. However whilst the outdrives were perfect, the teeth on the pulley were toast, which is a little odd. Here you can see the old pulley next to all the parts that came with that pulley, built into a new pulley. You can see what I mean about the condition of the outdrives not matching the condition of the pulley.

I had purchased a secondhand long wheel base Mid from this forum a while back which was stripped, a friend has half the parts for his project (when we start assembling that there will be a thread for it) and I kept the other half for some of my builds. All the parts for the rear gearbox bar the casing, ball diff and belt came from that car. One thing I did was dye the yellow washer that sits on the outside of the gearbox black, you can't really see it but I was dying some other stuff so I did it anyway

So now it was time to break out a new set of gearbox casings

To get things up to this stage

Now for the exciting part. I got to break the chassis out of the plastic, along with a few other parts

I actually had a second front plate made which was a different shape, but I decided to use the standard looking one on this build, this one is probably stronger and I plan to put it on my LWB Mid runner build at this stage

So all of that brought me up to here

I plan on making some more progress over the Easter Break
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S