Thread: SX in action
View Single Post
Old 25-03-2008

I have to agree with Bormac here, we really need to see this car on a dirt track if you're going to convince people outside the UK that it's going to work well.

IMO UK tracks are great for testing a cars strength due to the walls, wooden jumps etc, but you can't use indoor or even grass tracks to test a cars handling ability.

On grass tracks you have very high traction, which allows you to make damper and spring adjustments to improve bump absorbtion without causing too many issues with overall grip levels. This is not the case on rutted-out, low-grip dirt tracks where running a very soft damper and spring setup will improve handling but at the expense of driveability - the car will roll around too much and generate enough downwards pressure on the tyres to get grip.

If you watch that video, you can see that accelerating out of most of the corners is easy, as regardless of grip, the surface is still very smooth. On even a mildly bumpy dirt track the wheels would be constantly skipping over undulations in the surface, which effects grip and handling, but just as importantly, increases stress on the drivetrain when compared to a smooth surface.

As someone who used to run both Schumacher 2 and 4wds in the late 90's - I can tell you that on my (Australia) local tracks, their handling and driveability was not as good as cars like the XX4 for example. This was most noteable on the more "euro designed" cars such as the Cat EC and the original Fireblade.

I'm not knocking the car, I'm seriously looking at getting one, I'd just like to know that Scumacher have tested it on enough surfaces to ensure that it is an "all-round" car, not like some of their past releases.