View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I think the track is better when its a little damp.. Its tacky and very grippy.. We still haven't finished rolling it yet so when we've done that and its mega hard packed and totally smooth and dry it may be grippier still, particularly if we get warm weather and it grooves up..
Just picked up on this from the Oople chatter.

I raced a bit on hard-pack (it used to be a grass track, but there's not much grass there now!) last summer, at the BADMCC track (we'll be running two BRCA regionals there this year).

I came up with a chocolate bar terminology to describe track dampness -

When dry, it was a honeycomb colour, like the centre of a Crunchie bar - this was abrasive on the tyres, and we found Losi X2000 and X3000 tyres worked best on this.

When damp, the track became a milk chocolate colour, like Dairy Milk. This was best, and everything from Bowties to Calibres worked well.

When very damp, the track went Bourneville i.e. like dark chocolate. Grip became more difficult, and a step-pin worked best on this.

Any wetter than that, it was probably lashing, there was standing water on the track and we frankly couldn't be bothered with the hassle and risk to electrics to race in those conditions, plus it became dangerous to marshalls.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...