View Single Post
Old 23-07-2011
Mad Member

I too like the original 6 shell better -- I love the wrap-around window. I remember taking two prototype shells through the pits at a race somewhere, one painted with "standard" windows and the other wrap-around. The wrap-around won 9-1, so that's what we made.

When the Squared came out, we wanted to make the shell different -- Squared. So we changed the mold, bringing the bottom of the windshield a bit further back and making a sharper corner where the pillar is to square off the look. (And add a bit of downforce in the center of the car.) Also, we removed a bit of material from the mold to "square off" the top of the rear. Since many people didn't like the original, this helped.

All changes were made by removing material from the mold. You cannot add material, only subtract, so a different shell would require an entire new mold. We'd actually love to do it, but too much $$$ when there's an X - 7 to make, not to mention an SCX - 60CF.

As to whether an aftermarket company will make a new X - 6 Sq shell, you'll have to ask them. We will be happy to co-operate.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC