Thread: XBOX'S ARE CRAP
View Single Post
Old 25-06-2010

So I bought an Xbox360 for my kids about 3-4 years ago.

After about a year it had the not reading disks error, so I called them, they asked me to try a few things which didn't work, so they sent me the box, the shipping label, and took it back, fixed it, returned it all free of charge.
After the warrant ran out it decided to do the RROD on them (my kids) so I decided to get them another one as the newer ones are ok as far as I know. So far, no probs with that one.

What to do with the old one? Well I found a fix on youtube involving changing the mounting of the heatsink, using some screws, washers and spacers and a bit of cleaning and replacing of thermal paste.

Deliberate overheat to re-set it apparently.

Then, bang, bob's your uncle, the bloody thing worked again. Has been working ever since. So now I have an Xbox360 at my place too.

As far as the Xbox reliability issue is concerned, I see it as noting less tha a complete PR disaster for MS. No product should ever come off the shelf with reliability issues like that from a half-way decent company. Simple.
I'd heard that MS at one point were taking back and fixing machines free-of-charge even for people whose warranties had ran out.
That should illustrate how bad the first batches were.

As too the 'get what you pay for' argument......that's just plain silly.

Oh and I have a PS3 too. No need to be racist. They're both good fun.