View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012

Interesting thread this folks.

I guess I would describe myself as 'Bond-lite' - I've taken a similar approach after deciding that I was at risk of becoming a heart attack waiting to happen by the time I hit 40. There's a history of heart disease, diabetes and other such ailments in my family and I figured it would be easier to take preventative measures while I'm still young.

I've never been skinny and never will be - I'm fairly short and reasonably broad (thanks dad, not!), so with that in mind I don't pay a huge amount of attention to BMI and other statistical data.

I'm in the convenient position whereby I have access to a gym at work for a small membership fee of £20 a month. The fee comes out of your paycheck and the staff are also qualified in giving advice on nutrition and diet, as well as there being a lovely young lady who does sports massages! So, in October 2010 I thought "sod it, I'll give it a go" and joined. One of the best things I've ever done if I'm honest!

Since then I've been going twice a week after work to do mostly cardio stuff - running, cycling and a occasionally rowing. Running, without any doubt, makes the biggest difference to weight loss. I was apprehensive at first, but once I'd started to lose some weight I got on a treadmill. After that the weight started to fall off more quickly and I quickly went from being ready to curl up and die after jogging for a couple of km, to being able to sustain a medium to fast paced jog for 8km or more, after which I could get on a bike and ride 20km without much hassle.

As well as the gym visits I made quite a big change to my eating habits. I don't really eat anything different, and I'm far from being someone who lives on salad, but I do eat much earlier in the day. I usually have an average breakfast, then eat a main meal at lunchtime and then something light in the evening. I cut down on carbohydrates, have brown bread whenever possible, and do things like have less sugar in cups of tea (tastes hideous to begin with, but you get used to it quickly and it's not bad at all then!). I also drink more water - keep a bottle of water next to my desk and have to refill it at least 3 times a day.

Last of all, after significant peer pressure from my work colleagues, I bought a mountain bike! I used to love my bike as a kid - went everywhere on it, but when I learnt to drive and then started uni it all fell by the wayside. I bought something decent - it wasn't cheap - but that means that I'm more keen to make use of it! A lot of bike shops do 0% finance, so I took that option and pay a bit off each month. I go out riding down some local-ish trails on a Friday with half a dozen guys from work, and also on my own at weekends. I've recently invested in some high power lighting so that I can go out in the dark too - great fun!

With the gym, and mountain biking if you're alone, the other essential bit of kit you'll need is an iPod - I have no idea where I'd be without mine! When you hit 'the wall' it's the only thing that keeps your legs moving sometimes!

So, after all that, what's my progress? Well, in October 2010 I was 105.3kg, which is quite a lot for someone who's only 5'9" tall. I'm now just under 90kg and look and feel a hell of a lot better for it. I went for an annual medical at work last month, and they said "your blood pressure is much lower than last year and is now more in line with where it should be for someone of your age..." - so I explained why. I'm aiming to shed another 10kg or so this year, and then the long term goal will be to keep it off.

As Steve has said - forget weights and building muscle, that will come later, and some of it naturally during the process of shedding weight through cadio exercise. My advice would also be to set yourself realistic short and long term targets that you know you can achieve. Start slowly and don't over-do it and burn yourself out - ramp up the work rate gradually. Once you get into it you'll find it strangeley rewarding and invigorating, and dare I say it, enjoyable!