View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay21 View Post
4GB is plenty for a 64-bit os, i didn't realize you were running that much.

The maximum RAM limit for 32-bit Windows 7 editions is 4GB. On the 64-bit editions, the amount of memory that the OS can use depends on which edition you are running. Yes, Windows 7 is a great operating system and if its tweaked it can be made to run fast on as little as 1GB for most average usage, obviously for gaming you would need more.

Here are the maximum RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7 64-bit:

Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB

There isn't that much of a noticeable difference between DDR2 and DDR3 ram really. if you get a good quality stick of DDR2 the differences will not be worth the extra cost. The DDR3 ram is much more expensive than the older DDR2 stuff

have a look on here for RAM, they do all diffrent types of good quality ram, their software is useful too, it shows you exactly which type of RAM your motherboard uses

http://www.crucial.com/uk/?click=true

hope this helps you out with your PC build
Ah thanks , something more to read up on and spend spend spend ha ha.

Its windows ultimate iv got and to be honest the ram i have is probably budget stuuf as the pc is almost 5 years old.

At the time im sure i paid around £600 just for the tower minus the monitor. Its an intel core 2 quad q6600 @ 2.4ghx, 350gb drive and came with 4gb ram coupled with windows vista.

I couldnt afford a new pc, but the bottleneck was the graphics card a 256mb 8300gs which was ok, but recently when watching films on a large tv, became rather hot and jitterred and skipped at times.

General advice was that a new card, also needs a new psu and in turn more cost and was it worth upgrading a dated pc. I went this way as i wanted to learn a little and have teh satisfaction of building a high spec pc but on a long term upgrade and to do bits when funds allow.

RC18T
Lunchbox Gold
X-6 squared
Lrp, Novak, Robitronic, Ko Propo, Ezrun , Trakpower ,Team Scream, Demon, Microtech, Dms, Good old Jezza, Je-Spares, Bolton Model Mart,

My Feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25199