View Single Post
Old 13-09-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvo View Post
All the recent events prove is that most current 2WD cars are not easy to drive on extremely high grip tracks, and 4WD geometry is slightly better. I am pointing a finger at front kick-up and possibly at motor orientation.
I think that front end geometry, especially the much less kick up and caster angle, is more the reason than the fact the chassis were designed as 4wds. 2wds have developed specifically for 'normal' off road tracks so aren't really suited for high grip surfaces.

It's like touring cars, they developed with the motor and saddle pack batteries in the centre with a high layshaft and that was pretty much the same design in every chassis. Yokomo worked out how to get a stick pack battery in there down one side, as Japanese rules specified a stick pack and the standard Yokomo motor mount prevented them from running a high layshaft to clear the battery, but it was never competitive until tyre technology and motor power showed up the shortcomings of the traditional touring car layout. At least when touring car chassis went through a major change the racers accepted it rather than complain about it.