View Single Post
Old 14-08-2012
Administrator

Default Pay for Trade access? bad idea?

For some that don't know, I'll be putting more time into oOple next year - however it works out. And I want to constantly make it better.

The 'for sale' section is pretty popular and having experienced ebay recently - it reminds how stupidly high the fees they charge are.
I wondered what people would think of paying something like £5 for a years access to post in this section (reply via PM, or browsing wouldn't be any different to how it is now) - this would be to:

1: stop scammers from posting stuff up and give added protection - they don't want to spend £5, and I'd still be checking new members even if they did.

2: keep things civil and have the seriously interested only from posting - rather than testing the waters etc. You'd still have to obey by the rules - mainly the 7 day rule of not reposting your advert (spamming) like a maniac.

3: let me give some tshirts and hoodies to the boys that help maintain the section and pay for the hosting and re-development of the website.

I've always been happy for CLUBS to have either a specific advert thread or adverts in their own club forum for members of the club selling to other club members - this is only sensible and is up to the moderator of the club themselves to decide if they want that sort of thing in their section and how best to maintain it (a single thread would possibly be best - sticky'd to the top of the forum).

It's just an idea - at the moment I like how popular it is and I absolutely don't want to drive people away and I don't think people should have to pay to advertise. It's been suggested and I thought I'd gauge reaction.

Personally I'm not sure - the safety aspect and keeping it more sane (if people pay even a small fee they won't want to behave silly) are benefits - but I see a big drawback in what's essentially been a popular part of the site for years.

I'm torn!

Don't be afraid to say it's crap and you'll go elsewhere.