View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012

Upgrading the graphics to something that's even midrange nowadays, something like a 260GTX or a 4890 would in all likelyhood kill your current PSU. While I appreciate that there are other people with opinions, you need to look at the system as a whole before deciding what to do. If your PSU is the one that came with your case, forget about it, you might as well bin the PC and start again. If its an elcheapo no name brand like Qtec or Trust, again, bin the pc and start again.

This is the main issue with Advent PC's is they are always built to a price point, and that price point requires certain corners are cut. Unfortunatley for you, it does mean that when something dies, unless you can replace with a like for like, you will almost always end up stressing another component to the point of failure, and thus begins the cascade which will end up with you going and buying a new PC.

Ultimatley, if you're planning on moving to a HTPC type setup, you really are best of spending the cash to build a proper unit, they arent that expensive, mine cost me 400 quid all in, nothing spoils a movie more than having a fan whining while you're watching a film.

Grab a cheap i3, mATX board, Corsair PSU, 4gb RAM, copy of windows 7 home premium (OEM) and a cheap silverstone case, whack your current HDD's in and jobs a good un. Nothing bad to happen wondering if your current rig will blow with an uprated card in, and nice and quiet.

AC

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback