View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011
Mad Member

Thumbs up Great advice

I have now completed 2 race meets, one at torch, my 1st, and one at the new indoor at shrccc. After 22 years out of the game.

I have to say the post had great acurate advice as i found on my 1st meet.
Be ready to get racing as it runs quickly if your not ready.

Ask anyone for advice, dont be shy, the 10th off roaders, as they were 22 years ago, are GREAT guys and always happy to help out a newby or an old timer returning.

I am very happy to be back in the game, with my used cougar SV at a bargain price from one of the westwood bros, (Jay).

2 lipos are ample, a charger and tools, along with some spares(bashed the car a bit 1st meet lol)

I would say, to returning people, dont use the old stuff, they are not man enough for the new brushless motors and lipos etc, get a new buggy, sell the old one, the new ones have slipper clutches, needed to stop ripping ya gears apart!
there is plenty of choice and to be honest, there very cheap now, compared to years ago, there the same price kit/battery/esc etc, but in 20 years, the price is the same but cost of living has gone up loads.

when i gave up 22 years ago, i have £5000 of car stuff( A final club level) in the boot of my £500 cortina.
sold it all and bought an XR3 lol..... 18 years old and found night clubs and women......... hehe

Now, for £350 for an RTR car and lipo/charger, to around £750 for a top spec car and esc and all the better toys. Its VERY cheap.

Go second hand on things and its even cheaper.

in the old days guys, we had 10 to 20 motors, 10 to 20 nicads, motor tuners, peak chargers, one use per day nicads, run for 5min 10 seconds and done. all about power versus lasting 5 mins...

NOW, its all about driving, set up, tuning and looking good! LOL. everyone can have power, speed, handling and compete with the big boys for WAY less than a grand.

If you are thinking about coming back, do it, great fun. much fun had and everyone is so friendly..... 10th off road is suddenly becoming huge again!!!!

Get Racing!!!!
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =

Last edited by TARTMAN; 05-06-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: grammer