View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmurphy View Post
Why not tapered pistons Roger? I haven't tried them but am currently on small bores which I like since the piston return feels faster and the car more agile.
The simple answer is that the RB6 is already so reactive that IMHO the last thing it needs is encouraging to react even faster.

Only place where I personally think that I might get a benefit out of the small bores is Silverstone on their freakishly high grip surface, I can't bring myself to go for a complete set of shocks to use only 6 or so times a year so I'm happy to stick with the big bores.

Everywhere else I actively disliked the car on the small bores, any (very) slight decrease in laptime was negated many times over by the errors that crept in, quite often found I had to get back out of the throttle on the small bores as the car was unstable.
I can't get the car to generate such balanced grip in the wet with the small bores either, the big bores really seem to tame the weight transfer and make the car more predictable (probably why Kyosho specify them)

Possibly a combination of my driving style and the fact that I've done so much testing with big bores now (26 different pistons in my pit box) but I honestly believe that for all but the "superstars" like Kev the kit big bores with a change to 4x1.3 pistons will be faster over the 5mins.

Hope that explaination helps