View Single Post
Old 22-03-2013

Default Turbo Optima Mid SE-X

So, a bit of background before I get into the build.
In 1989 I purchased a NIB Turbo Optima Mid SE, the only NIB RC Car I purchased. I couldn't really afford to do many mods but over the five years I owned it I managed to collect a few bits and pieces for it such as a Novak4 ESC (an ESC was a big thing to someone with no money), Lazer ZX rear wheels and a one-way diff for the front. I also managed to find an undertray for it at some stage. I ran a HPI Uno motor in it and then a LOSI, I forget what wind but it had a yellow sticker on the can and was really fast, much faster than the UNO
At one point, in 1990 IIRC a model shop offered me the LWB Optima Mid conversion kit for bugger all ($50 I believe) but I didn't buy it and always regret it. The main attraction for me was just the shape of the chassis, I never liked the skinny mid chassis and loved the shape of the saddle pack chassis, to the point that I cut some pieces of black tin to the right shape and screwed them to the chassis just to get that look lol

These are the only pics I have of it, you can see narrowed Mid wheels on the front and the Lazer wheels on the rear

I did however keep the box!

Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S