View Single Post
Old 27-01-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud31 View Post
i think the chart needs decimal point moving so front purple are 72.8 n/cm as that = 6.44 lb
Do you mean lb/in?

You may be right about the decimal point, but those readings (on the yokomo.eu chart) are straight off the Gforce spring rate gauge. I bought one, and I was wondering the same after using it. Anyone got a gauge tester?

OK, I pulled out the AE Yellow front spring, rated at 3.75lb (lb/in or lbf?) by AE.
Measured on the gauge gives a value of 6.227N/cm. Using web based unit converters these convert to 0.551 ib/in.
Moving decimal as you suggest gives 62.27N/cm = 5.51lb/in.
Clearly not the AE rated value of 3.75lb!
AE front whites = 3.30lb, measured 5.450N/cm or 54.50 = 4.81lb/in

Something is not right.

I only have AE spring sets with their "known" values, plus the Yokomo springs sets rated by colour.
I'm not sure I trust the AE ratings, given they are lb (mass), not lb/in (torque). Unless they mean pound-force (lbf) (force)?
Either way you can't convert a unit of mass or force into a unit of torque. Related, but different things.

Maybe the AE ratings are arbitrary, just like the colours. so it matters not what the actual values are only that they are heavier or lighter compared to the others in the set. This ties you into a set, and makes conversion between brands difficult and a bit of guess work, which in turn makes you go out and buy the full set.

I guess then the point of the spring rate gauge is so you can check your own springs for match, and to measure them all yourself so you can compare against that scale.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by neallewis; 27-01-2015 at 01:12 AM.