View Single Post
Old 19-03-2014

I think that Storm Valley is a great venue with big positives a some negatives but for me the pros outweigh the cons by a lot but that's obviously not true in most people's opinion cos turnouts seem to be very low. The positives are obvious (full time indoor clay track - nuff sed). Negatives? Well, it seems something HAS to change or the venue will surely close and that would be a real pity. I really like the sugar idea but only with the inclusion of a tyre rule. One where you are allowed one set of a particular type of tyre per meeting. Maybe in a hardish compound to ensue they last the whole event. My opinion is, and from what I've heard others say the problems are, in order of importance:-

1) Too small. Especially for gas 1/8. Personally I think it is a little small but not terrible so. It just seems small because speeds are very low. This is because the low grip combined with a difficult jump and other slowing hills and lumps causes you to end up nursing your car around a slippery obstacle course and that's not much fun. I think a higher grip surface would transform the track especially if the cars were helped rater than hindered to get some speed up by for example entering the straight down a slope then into a modestly banked corner at the end of it.

2) Haven't got a rear motor 2wd? Few people these days have one and even if they have one that can be made into one like the losi 22 can't be fussed changing it. Making the track mid motor 2wd friendly is certainly in my book a very good idea especially as that is the trend worldwide anyway.

3) Pitting. The pitting is good, just a little cold especially in winter so perhaps sealing the walls better and a large gas heater would be good. The denial of use of the mains power seems bizarre to me. I'm sure the consumption of power from charging cells is trivial. Personal electric heaters maybe but charging? It's just an unnecessary nuisance to have to bring your own generator or 12v truck battery.

4) 5 minute gaps between races. Too long by 3 minutes. 2 min gaps are plenty to for changeover and for marshals to get to positions safely. Standing on the rostrum for ages waiting is very frustrating. This is for electric. 5 mins I'm sure is ok for gas.

5) jumps. Most people say they are too harsh or just too big. I think they are all perfectly fine apart from the one in front of the rostrum that still seems to need more softening. This jump is the biggest culprit for slowness as stated before. I've seen many cars get stuck and even slipping backwards. It's just too slow a section and hinders the flow and fun factor too much. I know a faster flowing grippier track would reduce lap times significantly but that's ok, just have 8 car heats. 8 car heats are fine and better than tripping over too many other cars on an overly hazardous track.

In short sugaring the track, making it more flowing, allow mains power use for charging and cutting gaps to 2 mins are in my opinion very good ideas.