Thread: Disabled access
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011

John from Ardent here, we have the privilege of being permanent, so a breeze block solid ramp structure was fairly easy to throw together, I sympathise with both wheel chair users and RC clubs as they will desperately want to accommodate you but sometimes factors get in the way, not just money, but permission, health and safety etc.. I do think that clubs that host BRCA (and other large events) should provide access and those clubs when looking for indoor venues to run from should look for buildings that have stages as rostrums and will therefore most likely have wheelchair access. There are charities that can help fund the improvement of facilities, we ourselves are looking at building a toilet block that has disabled access (this is currently a big problem and is very much playing on all our minds at Ardent). Watch this space and i'll let you know how we get on with it all. It would be useful for the BRCA to collate and report whether clubs have wheelchair access onto rostrums, just a thought. In the meantime good luck with your racing and hope we see you back soon.