View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Cosgrove View Post
Hi Evertonal

The internal cooling fan is a very lightweight aluminium part that attaches to the rotor by 2 grub screws. It is designed to reduce the internal temps of the lower solder ring for high stress applications like 10.5 touring car racing. In testing we found a 10-15 degree internal temp reduction in using the fan. The external motor can had very similar temperatures with or without the fan.

A simple way of reducing the motor temp is put a bigger rotor in. This will lose ultimate RPM but give you more torque (better feel) and run cooler with more natural brake effect from a stronger magnet.

Motor and ESC settings are very important. We set the motor on 7 degrees timing (minimum) from factory as this will be the safest setting to learn how your motor and ESC work together. Yes higher motor timing will create more power but it will also create more heat. We have found always increasing your ESC settings before your motor seems to result in a bigger performance step than simply cranking the motor up, that will just create excess waste heat in the motor.

We are working hard on the new ESC currently (for a year and a half now). We have taken national victories in Touring Car already with the prototype and have helped Craig Collinson (HULK on here) to get some career best results Off Road. We are looking to change the game with the ESC and so far all the indications are we are getting there very quickly

If you require anymore info please ask

Ben
Been trying very hard to get this motor going in my 17.5t boosted class but to no avail. Wouldn't even match the pace of my sp v3 that I had, any tips on setting this up? Will be used with a sp/hw esc. It just either gets too hot too quickly or is just outright slow in terms of laptimes. Everything was kept the same, (tires, goop, time of warming with goop) and my consistency is usually good so i don't think it was my getting lucky with the other motors and getting a better time.

Cheers.