View Single Post
Old 21-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Its true that a lot of the kids like marshaling, some even marshal when they aren't racing! But its also true that they aren't that good at it, and I've voiced concerns before when people were running big 1/8ths and 4x4 SC's about a collision with a young marshal.

I like the idea of a novice heat. Roundabout and Stockport have them with smaller turnouts than most Bury meetings so its certainly possible. It will help to encourage new drivers etc. Clearly it should be heat 1 and marshaled by the top heat, but rather than have all the top heat drivers marshaling 4-5 kids, have about 1/3rd of them marshal heat 2 instead, alongside the kids. That way heat 2 gets some competent marshals and the novices are shown how it should be done.
Yes I know it means marshaling the heat after next instead, but it really shouldn't be a problem.
Of course all this depends on getting a bare minimum of 3 good sized heats going. An easy enough job on a nice sunny day on our new track, but when its cold and damp and only a few turn up we'll all be mixed together again.

In any case, drivers under lets say 11 (ie still at primary school) shouldn't be at the track unaccompanied. Which means in theory there is a parent present to marshal. The problem is that Dad has to prep his car and his sons, and marshal for both which is a tall order. Older lads can marshal themselves, but a novice heat and some supervision is still advisable.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)