View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1066 Racing View Post
About half our members raced at Eastbourne regularly, many fond memories of green compound mini spikes and a floodlit track on a Wednesday night, racing whatever the weather! Grass meeting will be ace, looking forward to it!

Another great track was Crawley, end of a playing field? Grass but with plastic mesh 'under' it? Loved it there, used to camp the night before, mega.

There was another grass track V near Brands Hatch, only raced there once I think? Bottom corner of a field, opposite a petrol station?

Also Caterbury, grass I think? Although I'm sure they once hired an indoor horse trotting arena, swept the loose dirt to run on hard packed stuff underneath?

Happy days. Went through 3 tamiyas...Terra Scorcher, Avanti, Egress, then Schumacher Boss Cat and finally Cat 2000.

Then a near 20 year break...before three of us started 1066 and all our old mates came out of the woodwork!
Yep, Crawley was a cool track! I actually liked racing on the mesh as it made it fairly slippery. Neil Twitchen and Pete Gilbert are names that spring to mind for Crawley.. I used to live fairly near Brands Hatch but don't remember a track near there, maybe I'd quit by that point?. Herne Bay used to race in an indoor equestrian arena for a while in about '94. Why does nobody do that now, great fun!? The thing I liked about Eastbourne was that the grass was decent, not your average ropey field grass. My Pred used to hate the back section though with the humps...

List of South of Watford League Clubs (incomplete, feel free to add);
Medway Off Road Club
Eastbourne
Eden Park Overlanders
Crawley Auto Racers
Thornton Heath Off Roaders
Oaks Park Ramblers
Surbiton
Crowborough
Canterbury
Parkwood
Herne Bay (BMX Track!)