Thread: Motor quality?
View Single Post
Old 16-10-2020

Send a message via MSN to Dirt-Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
The R&D for the Speed Passion motors stopped in 2010, when they first released it. Even it's replacement that Speed Passion released in 2011 had a 10% increase in performance over the cheap V3 motors they sell.
Speed Passion have decided to not bother with the high performance end of the market and have just kept on making this 10 year old design as it's more profitable for them.

Other manufacturers spend time and money on constant development just to keep up with the competition, making the motors expensive, and if their motor isn't the fastest they don't sell any. Speed Passion chose to keep making a 10 year old motor range so they have no extra costs to keep the price low. They spotted that there was a gap in the market for cheap motors so have a constant income when they don't have any competiton in the price range.

The V3 motors are seriously underpowered compared to any modern race motor. When R&D means even this year's motors have a 5-10% improvement over last year's motor you can see how far behind a 10 year old motor design is going to be. I recently bought a new motor to replace a 4 year old one that is still competitive, using a motor tester the new motor showed it had 30% more speed with much more torque straight out of the box compared to my old tweaked and tuned motor.

You don't even need the latest motor to see a performance difference, I would recommend buying a second hand motor over a new Speed Passion because the second hand motor will be faster.

Blimey, you're still alive you ole dinosaur? yes we are now officially dinosaurs. How's it going Terry, I can't believe you have had the passion of keeping this whole thing going, passion for RC. I took a major break from RC but I think's of getting back on the saddle, not too sure yet but I have started to buy some old RC stuff and may get my ole TamiyaClub account back up and running. Hope all is well.