View Single Post
Old 13-04-2019

Default New car, or stick with old one?

After some advice.
I’m an occasional club racer who’s probably of lower mid level driving ability, despite being involved on and off in the hobby for many years.
I love driving, and I love tinkering with cars, but I’ve never really got to grips with set-ups.
I have a few vintage cars I like using, but the car I use the most is not quite classed as vintage yet, although it’s pretty old. I still run an X-factory X6 squared. For those that don’t remember the car, it’s basically a mid motor conversion of an Associated B4. I have a ton of spares for the car, more than enough to build another and keep me going for ages, so spares are not a concern.
I’m struggling to get it to handle, in fact it’s been pretty undrivable the last couple of outings. I’ve had a bit of advise here and there, and as a result changed things setup wise and it’s definitely got better, but still not great. I know it’s a capable car, but not as I currently have it.
So my question is. Should I go get a new car, such as a B6.1 where set-up advise is far easier to come about, and being a more modern car it ought to go better. Or stick with what I have, save spending the money on a new car and keep trying to get to grips with setup?
I like the idea of beating more modern cars with my old classic, but at the moment it’s not really working out that way.

Appreciate advice of stick with old, or get new and you’ll enjoy it more kind of thing. But please don’t turn it into a thread of you should buy this or that brand etc. Just interested in keep the old or get a modern car.