View Single Post
Old 16-04-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
I find this more common in onroad than offroad, but I know what you mean. I've seen more than a few potential new racers turn up at the track with a TT01 or similar, still on the standard motor. They normally go home disheartened when they see the other car lap the track in less time than it takes them to get down the straight, use an esc that costs more than their entire setup and are carrying vast amounts of gear around even for a club meet.
I've found this a lot too, and yes more in on road. The part you mention about people getting 2nd gear is something that needs to be made aware to people starting up. I've looked around a lot of clubs before settling on what I have and been put off by the gear I've been 'told' to buy and then the realisation of the price when I got home and was in front of the computer.

I hope this high status mentality goes away because at the end of the day we're all here to have fun.

When I started racing a long long time ago it was mardave mini stocks, £40 for the kit and another £40 for the radio, so for £80 plus a lesure battery you could race, everyone had the same gear it was a very even playing field, now it does seem to be who can spend the most money which is such a shame.

I'm not having a pop at people who can afford the best gear, why shouldn't you buy it but if people come to the club asking questions don't tell them to buy what you have explain about the cheaper stuff, explain about how easy it is to pick up used items that aren't that old and still perfectly capable.

My paintwork thread