View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008

Default Snapping diff bolts

Can anyone please explain the previous post... Just how do you adjust the diff without taking off the suspension links.??

I just snapped two diff bolts!

My rear diff seemed a bit looser than the front so I wanted to tighten it a little. I snapped off the suspension link and put a flat screw driver in to tighten it up - I was just doing it up finger tight and SNAP - the diff screw was dead!

So... I got my spare diff out - did the same thing and SNAP - dead diff screw again...

Is this normal? Are you not supposed to tighten the diffs in this way or something? When I first built the diffs I tightened them up pretty tight as per the instructions and they were fine. Much tighter than what I tried today where they both snapped.

They seemed to snap at the same place - right where the thread starts on the screw.
They are also the newer thicker diff screw (as in what comes with the Worlds Edition)

Is it the case that once you've used a diff for a while the screw can get brittle or something? It just doesn't make sense - two in a bloody row.

Any comments or assistance - most appreciated.

Rgds,
Jason.