Thread: Lazer zxr
View Single Post
Old 15-03-2018

Hi everybody,

I just got infected to come back to RC-Cars after 20 years of absence. I just bought and builded a re-re of the Tamiya Top Force and decided then to dig my old Lazer ZX-R out of my parents cellar and restore it as my 2nd project.

I found this Lazer very messed up, but therefore pretty cheap, on a rummage table when I was appr. 15 years old and "dominated" our private hobby league with this monster. We drove all low budget cars from tamiya back then (since we were all 15 and poor), and this Lazer was playing in a complete different league. After some years we went away from driving RC cars and I put the Lazer in a box and it rotted there since then.

Two weeks ago, I digged it out and bought a second Lazer ZX-R on ebay with a bunch of spare parts as well as a new body replica from a guy in UK and now I want to combine the best of both cars to one car in good shape.

Some questions to you guys:

• How can I dissassemble the rear hubs? In particular, I want to renew the ball bearings inside and therefore have to separate the rear Wheel shaft and the Hex (called "drive washer" in my manual). My manual does not give me any information about it. It just looks like the wheel shaft is just pushed into the hub and the hex is then sticked over it from the other side. But in my case, it doesnt move nor I can turn/screw it out. I even broke both Wheel shafts by trying to losen and turn it (i also used WD40, because I thought I am fighting against rust etc.). I attached two pictures to describe my problem better.
  • What kind of ball bearings should I use and where to buy? I found different pre-configurated sets for the Lazer ZX-R, particulary
  • rubber sealed (black or blue - just a difference in color?)
  • metal sealed
  • electric (?)
what is the best option? Is there any difference or is one ball bearing as good as the others? And - is there any seller in Europe or Germany? For me, it sounds mad to buy a set of bearings in Hong Kong or USA. Probably they will be 4 weeks under way...
  • With the 2nd Lazer I bought on ebay I got a set of gold shocks. I am just not sure, if they are at the original size, since this car was used as a on-road touring car. At least, they are shorter than my shocks, which on the other side are not the original ones. So my question: how long are the "long" and "medium" Kyosho gold shocks?
  • Where can I by spare-sealings/rubber-pressure-tops for the gold-shocks?
  • Can I easily dissassemble the ball differentials? According to my manual, they came assembled, but I can feel that there is sand in it. I am just too scared to open and never be able to assemble again....
  • Just a general question: I want to lube everything up, but the manual does not give me any information about any lubing procedure. Is there some kind of all-purpose-lube I can buy in a big ammount? Or do I have to buy this insanely expensive 1000€/g specialized gear-greases from Tamiya etc.?
Thats it for the moment, sorry for rushing this thread with some naive beginner-questions...

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180315_182546.jpg (354.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180315_182608.jpg (267.4 KB, 17 views)