View Single Post
Old 17-08-2008

Got to agree with the previous comments about micro being difficult to get into. I was looking into micros about this time last year but didn't get one because it didn't seem worth it. (in my opinion)

The 1/10th market has developed well over the years so we are now in a good place where most kits are fully competitive out of the box. With the latest kits it will be the driver that is the limiting factor and not the car, right up to Worlds level. (B44 was world champion with AE shocks & front diff) To me it looks like the micro kits are a new product and are where the 1/10th kits were about 15 years ago(think buying a Pro-Cat and then having to buy a carbon chassis, MMS diffs, wasp belts, kyosho shocks etc, etc to be competitive).

The other thing that i don't like, which may be controversial, is the lack of basic rules spoiling the micros.
If you have a micro buggy class, make sure it stays a micro buggy class. If people are racing they improve the cars to go faster, and basic physics says a micro buggy will be quicker with a wider track and bigger wheels. So we have people using lowered truck chassis with 1/10 touring wheels. This then gives odd cartoon looking cars that are wide with big wheels but a disproportionately short wheelbase. Looking at these cars it looks like they need a longer wheelbase for stability so that will be the next performance trick, if not done already. So you end up with a micro car + wider track + bigger wheels + longer wheelbase which is just a bigger car, so why not just run a bigger 1/10th to start with!

Why don't the drivers ranting about other classes not understanding the micros do something about it. How about putting together a guide to the latest/best micro buggies and what mods needed to make them last the race and what mods are desireable to imrove performance. I'm sure a well written guide telling established 1/10th & 1/8th off road drivers what they would need to get a micro running over the winter would boost numbers.