View Single Post
Old 25-11-2014
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

I think for F1 to retain any kind of "relevance" they have to stay with the hybrid power units (I hate that term, but hey ho!). It was no secret that Renault were planning to walk away if they stayed wtih V8's and I'm pretty sure I read Merc weren't entirely convinced about staying with the V8's either. Add to that, no chance Honda would have joined.

For me the racing has been ok as well. Racing between the 2 Merc's has been good, and in all honesty between Williams, Red Bull and Ferrari hasn't been bad either. Sure, the gap to the Merc's needs to close up so there can actually be a race at the front.

One of the fundamental problems for me is the Engine / PU freeze. It's probably the right thing to do on cost, but for racing I think it's bad. Everyone knew that there was a good chance that one of the manufactures would "get it wrong" and it's clear that essentially 2 of them did. Then because it's frozen, there's nothing that they can do to fix it. I'm not sure how they fix this, as it's the costs of these units that has at least helped to hammer the nail in for Caterham and Marussia