Thread: New bike help!
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
The giant seems to be quite racey geometry compared to the others (long top tube, shorter head tube, so unless you want a head down arse up position its probably not the best, the Aluxx SL frame on the giant has a long and illustrious racing heritage in its various versions, it would be ideal to buy and then upgrade at a later date)

Oh, and as an aside, its critical that you get the right size, and set it up right, nothing worse than ruining the ride by having a badly set up, wrong sized bike, makes the whole thing a miserable, uncomfortable and possibly dangerous experience.

Consider looking at Orbea and Bianchi bikes, quite often have a sloping top tube which keep the frame tight and compact without compromising on size.

Trek often do a good deal and are very popular and will last, with very good backup.

Personally i feel that Giant have gone downhill of late.

Look for a swept fork, more forgiving.

They will mix what they need to and always look the nuts and their colours and designs are timeless. They always draw attention. Very well built. More deals on bianchi at the likes of evans but as mattr says its all about getting the size right. For this reason I would go to local bike shop (not halfords) and speak to staff...who probably used to or still do race
Have a ride, decent dealer will let you.

You could get a mint bianchi with carbon forks, rear stays and ultegra/105 mix for £600 second hand. I know, because i recently sold one.

steve

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/b4sloth01/