Thread: Lazer zxr
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
I am confused, when you say 1.5 teeth for 0.5 pinion tooth, do you mean that you use a 33 teeth pinion with you 100T spur?

This is highly geared compared to what I have with my brushed motor. Is it because brushless motors have much more torque?
Well I'm using a 19 with a 4.5 and normally it's 2 pinion teeth per wind up for this motor but it's all down to you and how you feel. The car shouldn't wheely with a standard gearbox, even though I did manage it with a ten double corally in the 90's. The belt is loose in the gearbox and tensions too much and stretches under immense stress due to not having tensioner in there and then the belt frays meaning a new belt and pulley will be needed.I've designed a tensioner for the current gearbox but am contemplating a 3 d design with the tension post sections built in thus resolving everyone's problems.

If you could tension your belt then great, but still the same problem as with my cars gearbox with all the tensioners i get the same problem with testing, car can't handle the power without a properly set slipper. Don't forget the car was designed for brushed motors and was perfect for that but I've had to redevelop it to work with the torque from these brushless motors and had to put ceramic balls in the diffs, tungsten carbide thrust race in the diffs, ceramic bearings throughout the car, stainless steel screws and redesigned the tub chassis for more strength and with Rama's help we designed the layshaft for a B4 slipper which then evolved to a vts. I tested it at Maritime raceway and started off three laps off the pace, after gradual layshaft development and working out which slipper worked best I found out I was two laps better with the B4 slipper and with the vts 2.5 laps better, then it was the layshaft to finalise as it never lasted in the prototype stages, in fact I only ever finished one race event which meant we were still off the pace so tweaking the design was needed to get back on the pace. I've gone on a bit and hope I make sense but ask away any questions and will try my best to help.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS

Last edited by Welshy40; 10-11-2018 at 10:40 AM.