View Single Post
Old 30-03-2012

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

I love to see all the thinking and speculation I will say some of you are getting pretty close to the mark. Also, pretty much everything you guys are discussing (motor rotation, number of belts and placement, chassis layout, etc) has been tested by us over the last ~2 years, form the old "test bed" cars through what Ellis and I are running now. I am a firm believer in track testing ideas, rather than going from CAD to molds. Among other things, this is still the first whole car I've designed myself, and I very much want to get it right.

I know we come across as "teasing" with the no body-off shots, but there's of course a few reasons why. First, we have been changing nearly everything, and showing off the design last year or 6 months ago wouldn't represent the car we're working on now/going to be selling as the X - 7. Especially the electronics mounting room and weight distribution is much better now, and those are things that dramatically change the look of a car's layout. Second, I believe we've solved a number of issues regarding this drivetrain and chassis layout. It may sound slightly paranoid, but I'd rather not give competitors time to look/study/copy even before we're ready to release it.

All that said, I think we're getting pretty close. The new "v6.0" car solved a lot of issues we'd found with the older cars and had only one design flaw that needs fixing (I'll be honest, I bent the slipper shaft at Cactus. I had a spare and made a track-side hot-fix for it, but we need to re-design the supports as the spur/slipper assembly are too far from the supporting bearing at the moment).

It's been guessed/posted that they are 2-gear transmissions (diff and top shaft), and I think Chazz posted that it's a pure B4 diff inside, for parts continuity between all our cars. Small details I've been happy to share with people at the track but I haven't seen posted:
*The front and rear gearboxes are the same
*Pop a ballcup and pull 2 screws and the front gearbox comes out. 3 screws to get the rear one out because the left wing mount is in the way.
*Modular construction - the entire "rear clip" or "front clip" can be pulled off in 5 screws, much like an 1/8th scale car comes apart.