View Single Post
Old 20-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aire valley View Post
Or are we just wasting our time, effort and money because all the 10th boys want is astro ???..quote

Let's face it, astro would have benefits for yourself being easier to maintain etc, and much easier for most drivers to just turn up with the tyres they use elsewhere...not having to buy "dirt" tyres which are no use anywhere except RHR....!
It's sometimes good trying to be different, but economics say, go with the most popular..
The principle of a permanent indoor track is brilliant....
I have to say, Indoor Astro Turf sounds good to me. It fixes a number of issues.

1st, 'Cost' you only need one set of tyres that work on astro, and those tyres will last a good number of meeting, for both 10th & 1/8th. The problem with Dirt tracks is you need Dirt Tyres, and those dirt tyres don't last long! And then there's the problem of what dirt tyre works the best and in what compound. e.g, you go out and by £90 worth of dirt tyres, turn up at the track, and none of what you just bought work all that well, or are not the tyre to have for that track. Or, the tyre to use works best in super soft compound but they only last 2-3 runs! If your on a full FOC sponsored drive then it's not a problem, but most racers are on a budget, and they race to have fun! I don't see where the fun is in trying to compete with who's got the best tyres and how many new sets of them tyres you can put on your car in a meeting.

2nd, once the track is put down, it needs very little maintenance. And if Layout right, is just as good and as much fun, for both 1/10th and 1/8th.

3rd, Because you have all the grip you need, both 2WD & 4WD become more consistent around the track, and also on the take off and landing of the jumps. Just because the cars have grip, does not make the the track like a touring car track. You make it off road by the layout of the track, making it technical enough to give the fast guys something to think about, yet consistent enough for the club level racers to be able to get round the track without getting frustrated with not being able to jump the car or it spinning out on every other corner. The old Stoke S.N.R.C Astro track was on the small side, but it was always brilliant to race on, they made the most out of the space they used, and the track always had plenty of technical features in it, that made it fun to drive for all levels of ability.

If I ran a club like Storm Vally, I would ask myself, do I build a track that realistically is aimed at those number of drivers that do the Nationals 'On Dirt' so they have somewhere they get run on dirt what ever the weather, or do I build a track with the 90% of racers in mind, that want 'FUN' cost effective racing, No matter the weather! I know which one I would pick! But that's just my opinion.