View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie Top Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexuk View Post
As Tony says there's nothing new here, I'm surprised it's taken this long to hit the rc market. Because it's relatively time consuming and difficult to experiment with damping on our cars, there are few people who bother to much, therefore there is relatively little understanding in the sport. 1:1 road cars sometimes have as much as Y value compression damping and Yx2 rebound damping. Racing cars tend to have less as passenger comfort is less important. These pistons will not be right for all racing scales with (for example) a 10mm damper body, the rquirements for buggys and tourers can be quite different. The number and size of the holes that the valve opens and closes will still be critical and have a huge effect on how they perform, as will the thickness of that shim that sits between the circlip and the valve discs. I wonder what happens if you remove a disc too? Ultra precise engineering is crucial for these bits to work properly though. We have been getting there recently with the advent of machined damper pistons but it starts with your shock body and how worn they are. Are things really accurate enough? I wonder. Have you driven your car on the 'wrong' pistons? If you have then you know how much difference it makes and how important it is to get it right. If / when someone hits the sweetspot with these things then they could be killer, however sometimes we are blessed by having a choice of just 3 lol

For what it's worth, I thought big landings were absorbed by springs, diaphrams or compensators and chassis on ground, as the damper travel is often overcome in these circumstances. ie, little point setting up for it. I might be wrong ;-)
Dampening Control off a jump is critical to regaining control. The more control you have the easier it will be to get power down again and accellerate. If the car is bucking and kicking sideways and bouncing from chassis slap, you're going to have a hard time.

You've all probably seen this but, have good think about how critical the suspension setup is from go to whoa, traction is critical for acceleration and the landing especially!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SjX7A_FR6g

David
Secretary/Treasurer
Southern Highlands Off Road R/C Car Club Inc.
(NSW Australia)
http://shorrcccinfo.wix.com/shorrccc
www.facebook.com/SHORRCCC