View Single Post
Old 19-08-2012
Mad Member

I've driven the car twice now with the diff.

The first time was on a large astroturf track (Arendonk in Belgium):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbCrDOrbMuQ

The track was wet on saturday, even at the end of the day it was still damp and Schumi silvers were still the way to go (though they wore very quickly). I used my setup from Kampenhout, except for the gear diff. I also swapped around my uprights (as they were touching the springs every now and then).

That weekend my car felt better than it ever had - in the wet and damp conditions. It was balanced and I felt I had the right amount of bite everywhere on the track. Once it became dry (end of the qualifying sessions) on sunday, I had to swap to Schumi yellows... It felt good on the really slow bits, but on the faster parts of the track (90 degree turn before straight, the first 2 hairpins after the main straight and even sometimes on slower parts of the track) it was just scary and it took some changes in my driving style to keep it from grip rolling.

I did no side by side comparisons on the same track between the different diffs. I'd like to do this, for that I have to make sure I have several oils and a fresh ball diff.

I also did a run on clay - with the astroturf setup (apart from the front springs) and it was all over the place - no surprises there then with my shabby preparation - If my FF Buggy is not ready in time to use at the next race, I'll again use my TRF201 on clay, this time I'll do some more preparation to get it running properly.