View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019
Mad Member

Default Cost V Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispattinson View Post
I've tried a few of the cheap radios, including code, and though you may not realise it, it makes driving the car very difficult and as a previous poster had touched on, ruins the whole experience of the sport. The main problem is the delay in the response of the car. Inputs take a lot longer to be received, I'm not sure if this is evident on the pit table, but it is on the track. It became frustrating ad you would have to correct for the delay, often resulting in a car weaving, or accelerating or braking at the wrong places within the corner. I really believe these cheap radios are a reason many newcomers become frustrated and bail out on the hobby. I do believe it's the one piece of equipment that needs proper investment, and coming from a club and region that is seeing huge increases in numbers, this is one piece of advice we give to new comers.
Well said Chris, I've always explained it to newcomers as with:
Cheap kit
'You think, you move, transmitter thinks(delay) then moves, receiver thinks(delay) then moves, finally the car moves (delay)

Decent Kit
'you think, you move, transmitter moves, receiver moves, car moves'.
No delay hence the car is doing what you want when you want and no delay as Chris mentioned which may only be a tiny delay but enough to effect your driving.

I've proved this trackside with a young lad pitting next to me explaining this delay issue to his dad who couldn't figure it out, I lent him my spare Sanwa MT4 radio gear, his laptimes instantly improved on the next qualifier, by the end of the 2 day meeting the father refused to give my radio back and just bought it off me instead, the lad is still using it 3 years later and is getting pretty quick nowadays and doing nationals.