View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKiwi View Post
I know they were trying the RB6 gearbox and rear arms som maybe something similar
You'd expect them to design a new gearbox for a car apparently due in 3-4 months just after releasing the Spec B DIMEC chassis?

If they'd be planning on such rigorous changes on the rear end they might have wanted to wait releasing an updated chassis tub (+suspension hangers). Moulds are pretty expensive, so you'd expect them to have the new tub compatible with a new gearbox... and if you're redesigning the heart of the rear end it's nice if you can build that without compromise and the rest of the rear end (chassis, suspension hangers etc) around that, and not the other way around.

Plus, besides actual costs... from a sales/marketing perspective updating the gearbox is a big investment... they should have plenty of updates that will make people buy it:
- DIMEC Spec B+appropriate hangers+bodyshell
- More rear link options on gear casing
- Problems solved that some casings have fitting a gear diff
- Updated HD ballcups
- Alu/carbon steering plate

A new gearbox design will not make them sell say 25% more cars... I don't like that mentality, but unfortunately you see it with many RC brands (particularly the ones part of a bigger structure).

There is a nice thing to this though... IF they'd develop a/the new gearbox for the V3, it'd mean they can take all the time in the world to make it something special like the current gearbox... I'd say they'd be aiming for lower profile, motor closer to diff, more lightweight unit and a triad-style clutch... Try to realize that from testing another brand's gearbox on your car design put into production in 4 months time

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy