View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013
Mad Member

I started boiling tyres for same reason as you re small children around and found it so effective just carried on even when children now older.

I use an old saucepan and lid as I would not want to eat food prepared in saucepan afterwards due to superglue.

I slice tyres down middle to take insert out and leave whole tyre on as this gives me something to pull on once I've boiled them.

I boil with a lid on for about hour and 15 mins. Tyres then come off really easy. Water needs to be bubbling the whole time so need to put lid on and gradually turn heat down until it is just bubbling and not boiling over, once you have done it once you'll know how high temp you need to leave it on.

You'll need to make sure water does not boil dry - I usually boil a kettle of water about half way through to refill saucepan. I set an alarm as I am usually in garage when I am boiling tyres and once you have the smell of burnt tyres in your kitchen once you'll do the same! I also need to put extractor fan on full and leave a window open otherwise kitchen steams up.

Never had a problem with brittle wheels - I've boiled associated, proline, schumacher, kyosho, Losi wheels.

Rob
Yokomo YZ4 SF2