View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy555 View Post
I'm going from Dublin.

Thursday evening Ferry to Holyhead and sprint over the pennines for practice on Friday morning.

Don't think we have any space left (4 men in 1 vehicle is enough ), but we could go in convoy...... are you going alone? Surely Andy Smith would go?

I'll be in Fivemiltown tomorrow if your about
Moley2k and I went with the Dublin crew the first year, and I must have been one of the last people to get home from the entire event....the drive to Dublin, leaving the car there, getting the camper on to the ferry, sail, drive (as passenger)....and then the reverse a few days later was, as it turned out, a long and exhausting trip. Not to say it didn't have it moments - I still don't believe the accounts told of me falling out of the camper van, having consumed almost a whole bottle of vodka...

What I had planned to do last year was to travel light and fly (any extra gear can be given to the Dubliners, as they've kindly offered), get a (shared) room at the Blyth Travelodge, and get a lift with the others staying there each day (1a *). Alas, I ran out of funds and was forced to bail out.

Next time I go, it won't be half-assed (or no-assed as I was that first Oople - Team Shambles would have needed a new category for me) - I may even overcome my loathing of camping and stay at the track (3c *). Require money for this approach, however.

Travel options are:

1. Fly - fast and relatively inexpensive, but seriously restricts how much gear you take.
2. Ferry (no car) - more gear capacity and inexpensive, reliant on transport arrangements at the other end.
3. Ferry (with car) - lots more gear capacity, but more expense in transporting the car on the ferry and fuel costs. It's probably how I'd like to do it next time. Really helps if you go with one or two others to share costs. No chance of getting 4 people with all their gear in a normal car though!
4. Ferry/camper - all the advantages of 3., plus sorts you for accommodation and you can take your family. Expensive, unless you ditch the family and get 3 or 4 other racers to go with you. Fuel costs are, iirc, high. Might have had something to do with Ian's lead foot :P

Accommodation options:

a. Blyth Travelodge or similar. Cheap, but you'll need transport to the track each day. Maybe hire a car with a few others?
b. Camper van. See 4. above.
c. Camp (the activity, not the style of behaviour). Kumbaya indeed. Not quite as cheap as it sounds unless you have the gear, but most compatible with flying or if you catch a lift, and might work as a family thing too. Potential for rain induced misery.

*Note the letter and number codes? Yup, it's a 2d array.

P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wupding View Post
Like i said early days, if i get a invite you maybe the meat inbetween the sandwich
Ten years ago, I'd have thought that was an indecent proposal. Now, it would just make me peckish.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...