Thread: FWD/FF Buggy
View Single Post
Old 18-03-2013
Mad Member

All in all the science of these driveshafts is pretty complicated - which makes it all the more interesting!

I really appreciate all the ideas, suggestions and information coming in! All this input (in general, not just he driveshafts) has really helped to develop the car more quickly and find potential ways to make the car perform better before it even hits the ground And it also gives points for improvement for the longer term.

Speaking of such things, I've updated the rear shock tower and done the rear arms:

Gullwing arms were not an option, so I did what I think is the next best thing: Mounts below the arms. You might wonder how these arms could be symmetrical... Well, the idea is to print the arms with mounts on both the top and bottom side, and remove the side you don't need with a Dremel. That way the car uses 'directional' arms, yet if you grab one from the spares box it will fit on either side of the car (even though it may not look as pretty for the rest of the race day)

To lower the dampers through the suspension arms, the arm requires a huge opening in the center. I think it will hold just fine, but I guess I'll find out exactly how strong it is on the track. Durability concerns aside, the change allows for a much lower shock tower assembly without using very radical angles on there. It also allows the wing mount to move 5mm further forward and to use smaller clearance cutouts in the wing.

It's another thing off the list... In fact, I'm now kind of waiting for the long outdrives to find out if the car will become 240mm wide or slightly wider