Thread: 22 4.0
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
I bought a 22 3.0 not that long ago and while of course it faster than my old xx (not by as much as you thibk) I'm wondering if I'd really notice any difference between a 3.0 and 4.0 I suspect not
On high-grip with a gear diff and once you adjusted your driving style I bet you will. You'll carry much more corner speed if you dare going through corners as fast as the car is capable. Some of it will come naturally from the car, the other part is up to the driver. My TLR driving buddies were happy when they switched from the 2.0 to the 3.0, but I could still hold the faster ones at bay with my YZ-2. There were approx. 0.8 sec between the hot laps of my 3-gear YZ-2 and my 3.0 on a tight indoor track (Racing Arena Limburg), and my experience was the same on astroturf. When my buddies switched to the delrin laydown gearbox, things were as before I had the laydown advantage, i.e. the faster guys were faster than me again. Other more talented and younger drivers experienced similar things with their Kyoshos when switching from the RB6 to the RB6.6, i.e. returning to the front of the fast pack from just trying to hang on.
That being said, the 3.0 will still be a good car when the 4.0 is released and more than capable in the right hands, just not as fast on a high-grip track. If there is lots of sand on your track or it does not dry up, the 4.0 with a stand-up gearbox may or may not be faster, but more adjustable. With a stand-up gearbox, cars in my experience accelerate better than laydown cars, but are considerably slower through the corners.
Like it or not, today it is about having the right car and the right set-up for the right track, much more so than when we still used to run Holeshots on virtually every circuit on the continent.

Last edited by mes; 03-03-2017 at 06:26 PM.