View Single Post
Old 29-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag View Post
I never painted a body as unsymmetrical as the Meteor one lol And those steering posts do stick up just enough to get in the way. Although I'll leave the body height as it is. yeah, think I'll also leave any brushless setups well alone!
Penguin's LWB Meteor body was moulded from a shell I donated - it was a used/trimmed but good condition shell (hence some of the vagueness around the front) that came from an 'ebay special' Meteor I brought a few years ago - that car forms much of the basis for the Meteor I built & raced (3rd O/A in 2wd at the 2016 Revival & winner in class at the Brett Davis meeting earlier this year) including its narrow front LWB chassis. The original shells weren't the most well formed when new from Mardave back in the 80s.... but in fairness given the relative cottage industry in which these cars emerged they weren't too bad & almost comparable to the shells from other similar low-volume manufacturers (e.g Schumacher, PB etc)

With reference to the chassis, it is my suspicion that Fibrelyte have used the mould that I supplied to them for forming the chassis for my Masami YZ-10... I laid Formica laminate over the mould to give a slightly textured surface finish to mimic the car's original chassis. From my mould Fibrelyte produced a kicked-up piece of carbon that they use effectively as a 'lid' when forming new chassis, to create the texture/same finish on both sides. The first YZ-10 chassis Fibrelyte made for me had a 'bagged' finish (filled bags are laid on top to provide pressure whilst the carbon cures) - The original Meteor chassis that Martin provided, I'm guessing, would have mostly been used to draw the chassis outline.
+ too many vintage racers to list!