View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev B View Post
The major downside to stock classes is the motor and battery side of it, In Mod the cars have too much power so can get away with 2nd hand or older motors and batteries.
If you look at classes like GT12 then its all about finding that extra edge, thats through high Amp charging or buying every new motor out and tuning them. The cost of tyres is far cheaper the extra cost to do that.
I have always had this view as it has made batteries/motors really cheap for the little bit of off road racing I do over the summer – 2 year old cheap cells and £30 second-hand motors still have more power than my thumbs can deal with.

However I have to say the thought of a more manageable amount of power is starting to sound more and more appealing. In other classes I race I certainly see the slower the motor, generally the closer the racing. Faster classes tend to have an element of drivers just about hanging on to their cars and just trying to keep them on the track rather than any close racing.

I can see with a stock motor class that there would be undoubtedly be a motor/battery war up towards the front of the pack but probably only amongst those that currently already make the decision to spend lots on tyres/motors/latest cars. The rest of us might get cars that did not shred tyres and allow us to actually race each other a bit closer.

Might become more of a class for newer drivers and those who have got, how shall I put it, more vintage thumbs? Sure, you will get a few ringers who would run in it and throw vast amounts of money at it but so what, that happens in virtually r/c class I’ve seen.

Never suggest getting rid of Open Mod for those that want it though.
Yokomo YZ4 SF2