Thread: rumours rumours
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008
Mad Member

EFRA
Normally the way this works is that each driver is a member of a club. He/she can suggest a rule change either via the club or directly to the BRCA (at least it's like this in Norway). Std. forms are used. I would guess also BRCA has a AGM before november, where all the clubs in the UK vote over suggestions. Those passed will then be passed on to the EFRA AGM in november. Again std. forms are used. BUT! Suggestions to the EFRA AGM has to be delivered to them early august!!! So often you're one year "behind schedule"... -and all you can vote over is proposals from other countries, that were delivered to EFRA in time. I also assume BRCA adopt all new EFRA rules (?). If you wanna be "pro active" like Chris points out, you must do this NOW! And make sure BRCA hands in the proposal before august!

All I know is that LiPos were discussed at last years EFRA AGM, and one thought it would most likely be legal 2009 onwards.

It being legal in 1:10 OR in ROAR (USA) now, and working well I think makes this even more likely for EFRA.

5 CELLS
We did this most of the 2007 season in both classes. To get weight down and to reduce power slightly. BUT - my experience says:
-runtime is much shorter, even with quite new batteries
-you need quite new & good batteries to have enough power
I don't think UK would suffer much in any case. But in most european countries 1:10 OR is still quite small. We therefore need it to be a low-cost & fun class in order to make it grow. I'm afraid it would leave out the low-budget racers. We even have guys running 3300 batteries still...

MY SUGGESTION
We don't need any "restrictions" in 1:10 OR as to number of cells, volt etc. You're normally overpowered anyway! It's a "non problem"! IMHO we only need rules now in order to assure that the batteries are safe! So I say give us LiPos or whatever may come, but the governing bodies like EFRA and BRCA must test whether these are safe to use. AND give clear rules as to safe charging and storage etc. In Norway we have already implemented:
-max. 1C charge
-lowest possible mV setting must be used
-re-peaking not allowed

I've been using LiPo in RC airplanes for years, and I simply LOVE them! Together with B/L they're outstanding! I was a bit scared to begin using them, hearing stories about "Darwin Awards" candidates in the US burning down cars and houses... but neither me or anyone I know has had any problems at all!

I charge them and leave them in the "LiPo Sack" (fire safe), then go flying when I have the time or urge to do so... and it doesen't even matter if they've been lying there charged for weeks... still full power and runtime! Rest assure, this is the future (for now)!

Keep in mind that LiPos have 40% longer effective runtime. Can be "re-filled", does not need to be emptied again. Can be used for several seasons and still be good as new. Inexpensive and so on. AND! The charging method is very simple and hence the chargers are mere giveaways compared to NiMH chargers!

The low weight also puts your car under the min. weight limit without any other fuzz! It's dog's bollocks!

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom