View Single Post
Old 28-01-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam F View Post
You think Schumacher can design, test, tool and manufacture a "new" car in the time since Tom handed in his notice?.... What planet are you on?

Whilst I don't think the new car is a huge leap forward over the old one, the whole "They did it out of spite because TC left" is a bit daft...
As I understand it (and I don't know much), Tom left Schumacher on good terms as he got a new job, which will further his career in engineering outside of RC. It's a good move for him and I'm sure he'll be missed by the Schumacher team. The fact he's now racing with Yokomo is because he wants to continue racing his hobby at a competitive level without the "work" ties to the old place. Got to respect that and good luck to him.

It's been no secret that Schumacher were refreshing the KF platform, as they (and other manufacturers do) in line with a product lifecycle. The new car is a evolution of the old one based on what they know works, what makes sense to keep (from a production point of view), and what worked better in the testing Tom and other team racers have done over it's life. While some changes are a departure from what existed, other parts are common which doesn't totally obsolete anyone investment in the KF. If you had when it first came out (early adopter), you've had good use and probably got many options that will transfer to the new car, or you sold it in preparation. That buyer will have a new platform (to them) which they can enjoy knowing that parts are still available and its not too far away from the current car that the early adopters will now go and run.

Any company (not just in RC) has to find a balance to keep a product fresh and current enough to drive continued sales, and I think Schumcher have done well with the KF and will continue to do well with the KF2, having the lifecycle right so unwanted stuff isn't left unsold.
No one can dispute the KF was and still is a cracking racing platform, and it looks to continue with the KF2. Good to see from a Great British company in this tough and ever changing market place.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by neallewis; 28-01-2015 at 08:34 PM.