Thread: Lazer zxr
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
i am starting on the design work now and already i forsee some big problems. for The Lazer its not as simple as the optima mid. The huge problem i see now are the pulleys. in order to make the left side front one way work, we will need to use the inner thrust bearings, and still maintain the correct pulley spacing to ensure that it lines up with the diff pulleys. The problem is the rear side of the thrust bearing is actually inside the rear pulley. You cant just slap a tamiya or drift TC hub type pulley next to one way, you actually have to machine a step into the new pulley so that the thrust bearing can sit inside it to maintain the correct pulley spacing.

here are a few possible work arounds.
1. forget about the top shaft one way. A new long pulley must be machined with a divider in the middle. This new one piece pulley will have a 8mm step extending outwards both on the left and the right ends to support the inner 8mm of the 8x14 bearings, with one end having a grub screw to tighten to the layshaft. the right side of the pulley will touch with the inner side of the B4 slipper plate to support it.
Pros : easy to design
Cons : In addition to making a new shaft, and new pulley must also be machined, making it costly.

2. Keep the left side with the original one way and pulley. On the right side, machine a new pulley with a 8mm step on the right side extending outwards to touch the inner side of the B4 slipper plate. Of course this pulley has a grub screw also to lock it in position. The left side of the pulley is machined a step to allow the thrust bearings to sit inside it like the originals.
Pros : can keep the one way.cheaper than option 1.
Cons : still have to make a new pulley.

Option 3.
Keep the left side with original one way and pulley and thrust bearings, also re use the original rear pulley. But machine a layshaft with a 8mm step and with the spline slots, much like the peak performance layshaft. Basically this one will be a peak performance layshaft with a longer end that will match up with the B4 slipper parts.
Pros : only the shaft needs to be made, should be the cheapest and most practical option.
Cons, getting the spline slot spacing right could be tricky, or machining the spline might be expensive.

i beleive option 3 will the best.
Im confused. How can option 3 be easier and cheaper as there is more work. Still you do actually make a good point so we will only need to fit the spur gear, pads, and the front plate from a B4 as well as the thrust race and spring.

I still think a lot of people like me prefer the one way and with this option if someone wants a permanent 4wd all they do is tighten it up. Still if you put a slot in the layshaft for a pin to go through so you can bolt the pulley to it then once fitted you don't need to fit the e clip on the layshaft and due to this you can use a bearing instead of the thrust race and means that the bearing will be thinner and should be enough to make a perfect fit. Other option I like was having a flat spot on the layshaft and using an allen key to bolt the pulley to, but as you say is costly to make.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS