View Single Post
Old 24-04-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim beeson View Post
I too, have the similar Mac to Word conversion problems, and have tried your suggestions. I found that just saving the Pages document, with "word" placed at the end of the stream did not correct the problem. An error message was given. I suspect it is like calling an elephant a fish - it doesn't work until you get God's approval first. Not that Mac is godlike, but they must have a format where this conversion can happen, but they don't tell you so.
Just typing a different extension to the end of the document won't change the type of file it is, typing jpg at the end of a text document won't turn it into a picture. You have to save the document in Pages in the word format.
OSX is warning you that you are changing the file extension, which means it can no longer be recognised by the application that created it even though you haven't actually physically changed the file type, just the name. BTW the Macs not that god like, if you don't want the warnings in the Finder choose Preferences in the Finder menu, choose the Advanced option in the top row and untick the "Show warning before changing an extension." Irritating warnings fixed.

I don't have Pages, but even the basic Textedit program can save documents as Word files. When you save the document, using 'Save As' from the File menu, you have the 'File Format' option. Click on this in the list and choose Word format, then Save. You will know it is saved as a Word document as the file extension will be .doc

Quote:
I also tried going into Print (which is a convoluted way of finding a supposed way to convert a Pages document - why not put this in Pages set-up.
It's not an official way of saving pdfs, but the Mac uses pdf technology for screen drawing, so it's a feature built into the system. It means every program can 'print' a document to a pdf file instead of sending it to a printer.
Quote:
I find the Mac not very intuitive.
It tends to depend on what you are used to, things tend to be where you would expect them to be rather than where windows would put them. Having Macs at home and an ancient copy Windows 98 on my work PC, when I had to upgrade to XP I found it's interface an abysmal counterintuitive mess. A bit of time at it and I even got used to that.
Quote:
And, when I am typing, the program tries to anticipate what it thinks I want to say and it changes the word on me. I have gone into the "spelling" prompt and shut it off - doing so only works for the next word typed - it will not stay "off'.
All you are doing is turning off the spelling correction that has just been done, you haven't turned the spelling autocorrect off at all.
Go to the Edit menu in Pages, move to Spelling, and the sub menu will give you the option to turn off the 'Check Spelling As You Type'. If you choose just 'Check Spelling' it will just underline the misspelled words without correcting them. As I don't have Pages I guess that if you go to the Preferences in Pages there should also be an option to turn off the spelling entirely.