View Single Post
Old 13-02-2015
Mad Member

I am no expert on B3s, so this is to a certain extent, general observation...

I came back to RC last year after 25yr lay off. Since returning I have seen some very fast drivers win with 10+yr old cars and one old Optima Mid (late 80s) that beats most of the new 4wd cars. Equally I have seen LOTS of modern cars that don't win either because the set up is poor or the driver isn't as quick (I fall into those 2 brackets).

I don't know if a B3 has a slipper, but if it does it would probably cope with a fast set up. If it doesn't then avoid going for silly fast motors - although a 13T in a 2wd is still pretty quick. I only use 13.5T or 9.5T in mine and it is pretty much quick enough in a straight line.

I run an original 1980s Optima with a 17.5 or 13.5 T motor in and it has no slipper. It runs fine and hasn't stripped any gears. I use lost cost electrics from hobbyking in it and they work fine

With regard to electrics, new LiPos are brilliant - 20-30 minute runs easily possible so go for them, but make sure you have an ESC with low voltage cut out as lipos don't like to go below ~3V per cell. Nasty things happen...

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...