View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakey View Post
Thanks dude I'll get some more pics when it lands but from the ones I was sent it looks as it's hardly had any use, I was going to run it but I'm having second thoughts now
Personally, i wouldnt run this one. If its as clean underneath as it looks on top its just not worth it. If you did, run a period standard 27t brushed motor for the reasons below.

The problem is its the very early drivetrain, with a very early design shallow gear mesh and seperate gearboxes screwed onto the carbon tub. You only need those gearbox screws to back off a tiny amount allowing the gearboxes to flex even more than they normally do and you will strip the pinion and diff gear. Which happened a lot back in the day. Also its a non-slipper drivetrain, offers no drivetrain shock protection whatsoever, and the rare spurs are made of cheese with a not very good mesh.

Again being an early Pred the wishbones are the thinest and weakest of all versions and virtually unobtainable to replace when you brake them.

Remember back in the day when kevin Moore initially ran the XT for TTech, at big events he stripped & rebuilt the cars drivetrain down every single round. And it still sounded like a Tie-Fighter even when freshly rebuilt...

If you do want to run it, upgrade the whole drivetrain to a later XK98/ETQ/P8 type set up along with wishbones and hubs. Which frankly is hardly worth it.

Ive been there not that long ago, and wished i hadnt bothered. You end up with a hybrid Pred that isnt really a '93/94/95 runner but mostly a later model that just happens to have a carbon fibre tub. And when you do run it, you are sh*t-scared the gearboxes or the tub will break and you cant enjoy yourself

If you want a vintage runner, the later Internationals/Nationals and the XK98s/ETQ's are the most common and easy to get parts for.