Thread: new X-7
View Single Post
Old 31-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
Without re-reading everything above -- I just found out oOple still exists -- let me talk a moment about the X - 7.

First, we believe today that two important engineering concepts on the X - 7 remain vital improvements on 4WD R/C cars. One is in the driveline and the other the steering. The X - 7 still accelerates and steers like no other 4WD car.

There are two problems which continue to prevent us from making the car.

First, we can't find belts and pulleys that will survive the incredible power of today's LiPos and brushless motors. We are making at least double and perhaps three times the power we were just 10 years ago, and with the best parts we could find at the time, we couldn't make the X - 7 driveline last more than one race weekend. It was crazy fast, but we won't sell a car that requires that much maintenance and associated cost.

Second, the X - 7 would be our first complete car -- nothing from a donor car, and no off-the-shelf parts we could buy. The start-up cost is massive, a half million dollars or more to do it justice, and we just don't have anywhere near that much money.

So we'll continue designing making CF parts in house that improve other cars and see what the future brings.
Chazz, very happy to see X factory heading in the right direction.
$500,000 start is a huge amount of money and I think you deserve credit for not continuing with the X7 rather than making an attempt which would be compromised through lack of money.
I loved my X Factory cars (I had 4 X5's and one X6) and would be very tempted to run one again if another conversion kit came out