View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013

Send a message via MSN to Garry

Homologation is a throwback from the days when we didn't have more power than grip (in general, across all classes). The last ''big'' meeting at the Ashby On-road track was a Schumacher BTCC round in 2007, and IIRC the pole time in 19t brushed would have gotten TQ at the 1999 TC Euros, thats the rate of progress. Anyway, I believe the construction rules and regs were put in place to stop someone concocting some sort of Frankenstein motor with neodymium magnets and some other exotic (powerful) materials to go faster than Joe Bloggs next to you on the rostrum.

Now, as Jimmy says, we have waaaaaaay more power than most can handle. Can't drive the car with a 6.5? Drop in a 7.5. Can't drive 2WD? Go 4WD. And to that line, I think homologation is a bit redundant to a degree. The fastest guys will still choose to race with whatever they think is the best, and will still top the timesheets. I think the mid-pack would be affected though, if faster stuff came through at a premium over what we have now, the manufacturers would get right on it and hike up the prices. With a higher price-tag, then Joe Racer may not be able to get the flavour of the month every time someone made a faster motor or LiPo, and we can all guess where that would be headed.

Everything in RC has gotten more expensive. Cars, batteries, motors, ESCs etc. Thats a given, but you've really gotta ask yourself this. Are you doing RC to pick up sponsorships and plastic trophies, or to hang out with mates and have a good time? If its the latter....do you really need to spend as much as you have on all your gear?

All my suppositions and opinions though.

- Edit, just saw what Jimmy posted above, seems like a similar way of thinking to myself. Great minds and all that.

Last edited by Garry; 07-02-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Added sommat at the end