View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013
Mad Member

It's a really difficult area; thanks to Jimmy for opening it up to ideas.

My reality is that there are too many people who don't give a stuff for their fellow man any more. It's the "me me" generation - only in it for themselves. The great thing about 'trading' on Oople is that RC people - real RC people - have not joined that generation.

I have never, and probably will never, bid for or sell anything on eBay or anywhere else for that matter. I'm too naive and unless the scam is obvious I'd probably be taken in. Things I thought I trusted turn out to be easy to use against honest people. So, for me, Oople and forums like it are a god-send as I can deal with people who have the same interests as me, and are universally helpful if someone tries to rip you off.

As for the paying thing, I don not understand why people are reluctant to pay £5 for an annual access to the For Sale and Wanted threads. As has been said many times on this thread, Jimmy and the Mods do a great job keeping it up to scratch. Why should they do that for nothing at all? Why couldn't members here pay a small amount so that Jimmy has something to work with to improve the site, and the Mods could get at least some fo their broadband charges paid? What is wrong with making token gestures to people who do so much for us? Why, when eBay fees are so large, do people think the For Sale and Wanted threads would not be used? Seems very penny-pinching to me.

So, of the ideas here - yes to 100+ posts; yes to a "thanks" button and yes to an annual fee to help Jimmy and the Mods keep it a good place to buy and sell. Just my thoughts...